Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Babies are here!

       ~Babies!! So many babies!!!~


Most of our herb seeds have already sprouted.  In fact, they are ahead of schedule according my the germination tables :)     

They sprouted so quickly, in fact, that they already started to get a little bit spindly before I could scramble to get them under lights!!  Have no fear - they are under lights and very happy now ~ ta da!


We still have Echinacea and Lavender moistly cold stratifying in the fridge... hopefully they will all sprout too and we will have our full season's crop ready (from seed) to go into the garden after last frost... with the exception of Rosemary ---------
Rosemary - thou shalt be the death of me! 
Does anyone know where I can buy Arp Rosemary plants?  Here in zone 6, there are very few Rosemary species that will survive our winters.  I hear that Arp is the best variety and I will be needing to find it soon.  Please comment to let me know if you know of someone who carries it (organic, please).  

I have not posted to the blog for a few days, as I have been fawning over these babies and also getting my vegetables going.  I planted 4 varieties of tomato, 2 sweet peppers, 2 hot peppers, and broccoli.  50 cells total.  Still lots to be seeded directly into the garden.  

I cannot express how exciting it is to me to have my vegetable garden going again (I took the last couple years off due to hectic and stressful schedule, but have decided that without gardening, life is hardly worth living), and to finally be starting my own medicinal herb garden.  I hope to have a spectacular perennial paradise here on the homestead within the next couple of years!  And it will be so nice to open a quart jar of Brandywine tomatoes in the dead of winter and have them taste as fresh as the day that they were picked!

Next post: back to details of herbs going into the herb garden :)

Have the most splendid day ever!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment