Friday, April 24, 2015

Why should you listen to the Herb Lady?

Have you asked yourself the following question yet?
"Why should I listen to what Mary the Herb Lady has to say?
What makes her qualified to put together these wellness "concoctions"?

Well, if you have not asked yourself this question yet, you really should.  Just because you have a duty to yourself and your health to question what's best for you.

Let me start by saying this:  You should not trust me to be your doctor.  You should not trust the information that I give to you on blind faith.  I encourage you to do your own research - and LOTS of it.  The more sources you can compare and contrast, the more likely the information that you end up with will be accurate.

That's where I come in.  I think I'm pretty good at digging deep enough to weed out the information that appears iffy or stated by only one person or group who stands to gain financially from the information.  I have the following in my arsenal currently:
(First and foremost) The Herbal Medicine Maker's Handbook - A Home Manual by James Green (whom I consider one of the most knowledgeable and gentle herbalists of our time)
The Aromatherapy Bible
Bach Flowers for Crisis Care
Herbal Antivirals and Herbal Antibiotics - both by Stephen Harrod Buhner
The Complete Book of Essential Oils & Aromatherapy by Valerie Ann Worwood
Surviving When Modern Medicine Fails by Dr. Scott A. Johnson (not the most impressive literary work, but has lots of great straightforward recipes for tons of ailments)
Herbal Recipes for Vibrant Health by Rosemary Gladstar (probably the most famous herbalist today)
500 Formulas for Aromatherapy by Carol and David Schiller
The Essential Guide to Herbs
plus lots of books on gardening and organic body care and that sort of thing.  The point is that I didn't pick up a dollar store book of recipes and decide to repeat them for personal gain.

I started more than 10 years ago - probably closer to 15 now... with essential oils.  I have never been a proponent of prescription medication for pain or emotional troubles or days where I'm down, or allergies or even my chronic acne and eczema.  More often than not, the side effects of whatever medication I would take would be worse than the original problem.  I read everything I could get my hands on.  Back then it was still books - we didn't have a computer in every household just yet - DAMN, I feel old all of a sudden!!!

I digress.

I began to treat myself, physically and emotionally, with essential oils.  I would experiment, usually using only my trusty sniffer as my guide :)  If it's offensive to your nose, it's probably not going to be very helpful overall is what I've found.  Some may disagree, but I personally am very sensitive to scents - especially artificial ones.  If you want to know if an essential oil is pure, just let me take a sniff - if there is anything synthetic in it, my nose knows.  Over the years, I have developed a strong sensitivity to scents, so I use only therapeutic grade essential oils and only from Aura Cacia at the time being.  Why Aura Cacia?  Because I have always gotten great quality oils from their company and I inherently don't trust "The Big Two" companies that seem more like pyramid schemes to me than a source for good quality oils.  I haven't tried them, so I cannot say whether I personally like them or not - I just don't agree with people making money off of other people selling products... that seems to me like someone is ending up paying too much so that someone else can make money for doing nothing.  Are the prices too high or is the quality of the oil compromised?  To me, it has to be one or the other.  Maybe I'm wrong - it wouldn't be the first time and certainly won't be the last!

After years of dabbling in essential oils, I discovered Elderberry syrup.  That's all it took, folks. I was hooked on medicinal herbs.  Elderberry cures anything bacterial or viral that ails you (as far as I know, anyway).  I have used it time and time again with enormous success.  From there, I again jumped head first into books on the subject (as you see above) of medicinal herbs and natural wellness in general.  This all fit right into my wheelhouse of wanting to avoid prescription and even over-the-counter drugs as much as possible for my day-to-day ailments.  Not only do I have my library, but we're smack-dab in the middle of the information age now.  I hit the internet - hard.  Now, it turns out that you can't believe everything you read on the internet.  Being a "distance learner" - meaning I go to college online - I have learned that there are websites that are more dependable than others when it comes to cold hard facts.  I try to lean more heavily on .org and .gov sites, and if I find interesting information on someone's blog here or there, I try to back that up using more sources.  If someone cites a medical study, I oftentimes check out that study.

So I personally put in a lot of work trying to sift through the bullshit to get to the nitty gritty, but you should do the same!  Remember - we're in the information age... all of this information is at your fingertips if you just take the time to do some searching.

The take-away here; you can listen to me if you want to because I do put a lot of time and effort into my research, but you should not listen to me as if I were the source for all sources... not only can I be wrong (after all, I am human), but not everyone is the same.  Catnip tea may make me drowsy, but it may keep you up all night (not very likely, but it's an example).

And a very important note: PLEASE talk to your doctor about ingesting herbs.  When he or she asks you what you are taking, don't stop at your blood thinners, high blood pressure medication, or even Advil.  Make sure you tell him or her that you plan on or are currently taking whatever it is that you plan on or are currently taking.  These are the guys and gals who went to medical school.  They may know something about an interaction between prescription drugs and herbal supplements that isn't widely known, or they may know that taking a certain herbal supplement may decrease the efficacy of another medication you are on.  While herbs are most often very gentle and benign, there are exceptions to all rules.  Keep your doctor informed, people.  They are there to help and they cannot make accurate judgment calls on your behalf if they don't know the full story.

Please always feel free to ask me any questions - I am more than happy to do my best to answer any that you may have!

No comments:

Post a Comment